East Berlin       

    Historical

 Preservation

        Society

 
Home

Building Name: Red Men's Hall
Year Built:
1849
Location: 332 West King Street
Status: Owned by the EBHPS   

Completed in 1849, this hall was built by the Stambaughs for their carriage works.  After 1888, when the business deteriorated, the Order of Red Men purchased the building to house their Oniska Tribe #40.  Over many years, the building has been used for numerous traveling shows and as a school house.  In 1907 it was a butcher and bake shop.  Prior to 1925 the building housed a cigar factory.  During the 1940's, Wolf Bros. ran a pool hall in the building.  Glenn Cashman conducted his hardware business here from 1946-1951.  John Grover originated his Home Service Store in this building.  In more recent years it was used as a place of worship and a craft supply business. The building, purchased in 1990 by the East Berlin Historical Preservation Society, currently serves as the Society headquarters.

Much work has been done on the building: a kitchen was created, a new furnace installed, and a museum and library were opened on the second floor. Monthly administrative meetings and general meetings for membership are held here. The building is also host to our Education Program which gives school students a tour of three of our five buildings.

                                                       

Colonial Day
Antique Show NEW!
About the Society
Membership Information
Calendar of Events
The Berlin Informer
Board Members and Officers
A Brief History of East Berlin
Red Men's Hall
Swigart's Mill
Liberty #1 Engine House
Log House
Church School House
Fundraising Events
The 1764
Preservation Fund
Our Education Program
Hands at the Hearth Cooking Activities
Society Snapshots
Our Favorite Links